Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sunny Day

Today is beautiful here in Baltimore. Sunny, the leaves are changing, the temperature is perfect around 73 ish. Perfect!
I had a rough week at work, but Friday was OK, even though it was an A day. By no means were my students polite or well behaved, but I did see an improvement from Wednesday. The students that I told would no longer have any art materials and would have to learn art by reading and writing about it really stepped up. Most of the class walked in the classroom ready to learn, quiet and respectful. Only 5 came in with the same foolishness. So I decided the ones that came in ready to learn would paint the lesson they were supposed to paint and the others would do the book work. After much explaining to the 5 that had reading (from an Art textbook) that the reason the rest of the class was painting was because I could tell they came in ready to learn. I further explained, that if they did this assignment without a fuss and came in next time ready to learn they could paint also. A few understood and did the assignment correctly. So that leaves only one 8th grade class that cannot paint.
I look forward to Monday, I feel ready for the challenge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up! Those kids are going to love you by the end of the year.

Ms.March said...

I agree with mccoubreys! Soon they will realize that the only reason that you are trying to get them to behave is because you care about their education and want them to have the opportunity to really enjoy learning about and creating art :) And, obviously, you can only do that when the class is ready to learn

The Brown's said...

Go Amy! Those kids are so lucky to have you as their teacher and I know some of them will realize it, if they don't already.