Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Feels like Friday?

Today is Wednesday, but it feels like Friday. The students in BCPSS have a four day weekend. The staff have two days of professional development and then their weekend. I love Professional development, really love it. When I was working at a miserable school, the art PD was the best 4 days of the year! I always learn something that I can apply to my job immediately. I love to be able to talk with other visual arts teachers and gain new ideas and strategies. Usually if you are an art teacher you are the only art teacher in the school. Other subjects usually have a team, others to bounce ideas off of. So these professional development days are very beneficial for us art teachers.
Since I started positive, now the other side to the long weekend for my students. I have this great student who constantly tries to skip her class to come to art, and I have to tell her she needs to be in her class (which breaks my heart since she actually wants to be there.) She is very helpful to all staff. She will stay after and help the basketball team and today she stayed with me until 6pm helping me grade drills. She told me she didn't want to go home, she didn't like her home. She is basically raising herself, and she is awesome! I was so sad for her and amazed by her at the same time. Later she told me she would come to school tomorrow to help, just to get out of the house. Four days off for students who have crappy homes is a really long time!
I know I will spend all weekend thinking of her, I hope she is ok.

No comments: