Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Kitchen

I really, really, really dislike my kitchen. When we bought the house, I found the cute 50 year old kitchen cute and retro. I knew it was too small, but it was clean and it would work. Now I strongly dislike my kitchen.

My husband and I have two children, two dogs, a cat, a corn snake, and some fish. Our house is just the right size, about 1,000 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, and a finished basement.

When we were shopping for a house, we looked at many houses in our price range that were dumps. This house came on the market and I knew it was meant to be ours. It was the least expensive and in need of the least work. The previous owners were the original owners and kept their home very clean and well kept. My husband and I instantly loved this house. We discussed before we moved in that we would update the kitchen eventually, but it would work fine for a couple years. The oven is small, I had to buy new cookie sheets that would fit and the door would close. The stove and oven both waste gas, the pilot lights are so enormous that they heat the kitchen and dinning room year round.

It has been 1 1/2 years. I am ready for new cabinets. You should know that my husband is a cabinet maker, furniture designer, woodworker extraordinaire. But like his bosses wife says, "the cobblers wife wears no shoes." The existing cabinets are metal and slide. Which means you can never see whats in your cabinet all at once. You can push the doors to one side and see some of the contents, and then push to the other side to see the other contents. For some unknown reason, this drives me nuts! I want to see the contents all at once.

This is a picture of the kitchen before we moved in;

The only difference now it that the walls are green and the counters have dirty dishes. Did I mention there is no dishwasher?

2 comments:

The Brown's said...

Hi Amy! I am so happy to see that you are blogging away. I just read every word. You are an amazing woman... I am so impressed with you as a teacher and juggling your family and grad school, too! Hang in there. You weren't be Amy if you didn't have a million things going on. Hope you are well and I'll check your blog more often now that I know you are writing.
~Mel

ddownn said...

I feel your pain... we have a 12x5 kitchen, a lab, a cocker spaniel, and a grey lion. Dinner time is always an elaborate dance!