Saturday, October 18, 2008

I Heart Bmore

I Y Baltimore. For many reasons but today I want to share one, The Book Thing of Baltimore

The Book Thing is a non-profit where anyone can donate books and anyone can take books, for free! You can take as many as you want just sign out when you leave with the number of books you took. I love to go there for National Geographic, maps, and other magazines for my students to tear, cut, and glue into collages. Today I was very excited to find some magazines written in Chinese, these will be great for collage and papier mache'. I signed out that I took 70 books! All free, mostly magazines. If you live in or near Baltimore you should check it out.



This is a picture from the text of one of the Chinese books, can my friends in China read it?



Even if you do not know how to read a language, it is always beautiful to look at.

6 comments:

Ms.March said...

I so need to go there! There never seems to be enough time in the day, damnitt!. I would love to do secret altered book boxes with the kids, hollowing out the middle of the books...I think they'd really dig that :) And I need more mags too! Next time you go - you should call me and MAKE me go too!

Zeek and I said...

ok, its a deal, I love that place!!

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, my understanding is that Chinese can be read nationwide, but is spoken differently in different places and that's where the multilingual end of things happens. So if they can read Chinese, then they can read this.

The Book Thing is way cool and I haven't been there in awhile. It's about time for me to go back. I like the guy hollering at everyone to be as greedy as they like.

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! never knew this place even existed. i will definitely go.. someday somehow!
is parking bad? :) oooh... im excited! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, we can't read it!! We are trying to learn how to say "I need a taxi!". I think characters will come later. Love ya

Mary said...

That sounds like a really cool place. Nothing at all like that here.