Sunday, October 26, 2008

I read a book today, and I loved it!

I was at the book store yesterday because Zeek wanted to read "Ida B...and Her Plans to Maximise Fun and Avoid Disaster, and Possibly Save the World." This is not something Zeek would normally see and want to read but his school is reading it for a book club and he wants to participate. While I was at the book store (which by the way did not have the Ida B book I was looking for and I had to drive to Towson in a rainstorm to get it) I saw The Diamond of Darkhold by Jeanne DuPrau! I LOVED The City of Ember, The People of Sparks, and The Prophet of Yonwood. If you haven't read these you need to. I had no idea she was writing a fourth book and was a bit excited.

This is the first page from The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
The Instructions;
When the city of Ember was just built and not yet inhabited, the Chief Builder and the Assistant Builder, both of them weary, sat down to speak of the future.
“They must not leave the city for at least two hundred years,” said the Chief Builder. “Or perhaps two hundred and twenty.”
“Is that long enough?” asked his Assistant.
“It should be. We can’t know for sure.”
“And when the time comes,” said the Assistant, “how will they know what to do?”
“We’ll provide them with instructions, of course,” the Chief Builder replied.
“But who will keep the instructions? Who can we trust to keep them safe and secret all that time?"


I love mysterious beginnings.
The newest Book of Ember, The Diamond of Darkhold is a fantastic end to the series.
If you haven't heard the first Book of Ember is now a movie, so read the book first, books are always better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean the Prophet of Yonwood is not the last book!!!!! I'm so excited, I need to read Yonwood, then this new book you've discovered.

Zeek and I said...

Yes, and the fourth is even better than the third! They are all good but I really love the fourth. :)

Anonymous said...

So what I was trying to say is. I am longing for the free time to actually sit down and read a book. I tried to start "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". That book is a bit to heavy for sporadic reading. So I am currently reading "New Mexico Ghost Stories" by Antonio garcez. ghostbooks.biz He is a friend of mine. We carry his books at our gallery. He doesn't make up ghost stories. He is more of a ghost historian. Excellent short stories.