Saturday, September 27, 2008

weekend

Well I made it to the weekend. I enjoyed sleeping 12 hours last night and I am now ready to conquer my massive amounts of homework. I really want to get caught up with my class so I can reduce some of my stress. I am so close to graduating, I need to finish so that I can have more time with my family.
My job is wild. My students are awesome, and frustrating. I learn more compassion every day from them. They are dealing with things I still as an adult have a hard time imagining. I have several 8th grade girls that have baby's at home. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have a baby at 12 or 13. Another student lost his only brother to violence a couple weeks ago and does none of his school work now. I have tried calling home about another student that walks out of my class, only to hear the disconnect message. I asked his homeroom teacher if she has been able to contact anyone. She said she just found out his family is homeless. How can we expect these students to come to school and learn the same way all other students in the state are learning. We can't, which is why I am so glad to be at a school where creativity in the classroom is encouraged.

1 comment:

Ms.March said...

It is amazing and horrendous what students go through - and I find it admirable that dispite all of it, many of them can still show up to school and focus on their future. I don't know if I would have been as strong at their age. I always find it helpful to remember where students are literally 'coming from' when things get tough. I have learned that even when students are acting out it is never personal - it is a symptom. NOT an excuse in anyway - but a symptom.