Saturday, September 13, 2008

Back to School

I have not been writing for awhile because so many other things took importance. I was on vacation and then since I am a teacher I had to set up my classroom. I spend on the average 2 weeks setting up my classroom before the students arrive. This year, I was only able to spend about 4 days because I am at a new school (old building, new staff). When I arrived two weeks early, I asked if my room could have a fresh coast of paint. Let me back up, I work in Baltimore City Public School System and the first three years I never knew anyone to have their room painted. If you wanted it painted you did it yourself. When I went to check out my new school there were tons of people, cleaning, painting, fixing everything! I had never seen anything like it in BCPSS. So I asked if my room could get painted, and my principal said sure! I was quite excited since it is a large room and had horrible colors, yes many colors.




Days went by and no painters appeared. This made me quite nervous since I had a lot of work to do after the paint dried. I inquired every day and was told they are coming. Finally, my principal made a request that my room was next and it got done, the Saturday before school started. That meant I had Sunday to set up my entire room. I was a bit stressed, but got enough up to feel ready to begin.

The students arrived Monday and then the real work began. I had been teaching elementary visual art to grades K-5. Now I am teaching art to grades 6, 8, and 9. Big change in attitude. So to say the least I have had my hands full typing up new lessons, trying to motivate, and inspire. I think I have motivated a couple students but I still have a lot of work to do.

3 comments:

Ms.March said...

Wow - your room is quite large! That's awesome! Is that a recent picture or was that before it was painted?

I look forward to reading more of your adventures in the weeks to come :)

Zeek and I said...

That was before it was painted. The painters painted everything white. I will try and take a new picture this week.

Anonymous said...

Nice classroom! Better than the banana yellow at the 'wood!!