Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I have been an emotional wreak. I am so happy, so proud, so relieved. We did it, everyone that voted for Obama did it! I feel like I have been quoting Michelle Obama all day, "For the first time in my adult life I am very proud of our country."

My students were super hyper today for a good reason. I had decided on the way to work, when I couldn't stop crying, that my students should make a collage to express their feelings about the election outcome. Discussing this was more difficult than I had expected. I had a difficult time explaining the idea because so many students wanted to interrupt and share their opinion, stories, worries, etc. I am glad they are aware of the enormity of this day, but if we could speak one at a time we could express our feelings through art.

At the end of the day we had a "family" meeting in the gym. All the students and staff gathered to talk about the election. We discussed how we learn about dates in our history courses that changed our country, but this date we lived during, we experienced, and we will never forget. One staff member shared that being a minority she always felt off to the side, never really included in the "American dream." Now, because a minority is the president elect she feels the dream is a reality, you really can be anything you want when you grow up, even the president of the United States of America.


Another staff shared a text she received, you may have heard it;
"Rosa Parks sat so that Martin Luther King Jr. could walk, King walked so that Obama could run."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful

Mary said...

That's a great text! I'm curious how the art came out.

bdc said...

I am missing your posts. What do you think of the Arts Every Day program? I imagine this is good?

Zeek and I said...

BDC- I am do not know how to contact you? So, yes I love the Arts Every Day program. I have attended a couple of workshops with them and I believe they will help arts teachers and artists in Baltimore by helping them network and work together which will help our students. How did you learn about Arts Every Day?